Prev: RE: Small-timers Next: Re: off topic: Babylon 5 the strategic game

Re: [SG2] 15mm Figs, Anyone? A company wants to supply...

From: tmcarth@f... (Tom McCarthy)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:04:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] 15mm Figs, Anyone? A company wants to supply...

Okay, I'll just say a few things about Enigma.

The company was started by a fellow who used to be a distributor who
specialized in GW products.  He gave good discounts and was excellent to

deal with, by the accounts of my preferred local retailer.

Once GW froze him out, he started a miniature company and immediately
set
his sights on GW's market.  Fact is, there's plenty of room to make
yourself
the lower priced alternative and be relatively profitable.
Unfortunately,
there was no market for his product.  Like so many other miniature
companies, he lacked the advertising and momentum to be seen as a major
competitor, and with few retailers carrying him and kids passing his
models
up because they aren't shown painted in WD and aren't exactly as
sketched in
the Codex or army book, well, he's stuck.

Credit him with persistence though.  He wrote me (having somehow
somewhere
found that I was running a Blood Bowl league low these many years ago)
and
asked me what miniatures I wanted to see from Enigma.  Now he's offering
the
possibility of an entire line to Allan.  I think he'd do it, too.

I think if we tell him what we want, the stumbling block will be
distributors and retailers, not Enigma.

Oh, and I might as well say, not everyone loves the miniatures Enigma
first
put out.  Quality wise, they look like GW miniatures of 5 or 6 years
ago,
maybe a notch below Silent Death 1st edition.  That means their
sculptor(s)
are still learning and improving, likely.  The character was there, but
don't expect the over-detailed GW models or the tight details of the
early
Star Trek models for the FASA era ship combat.

Tom

Prev: RE: Small-timers Next: Re: off topic: Babylon 5 the strategic game