Prev: RE: Starguard figs / Ogres for DII Next: Re: Star Wars micromachines

RE: Starguard figs / Ogres for DII

From: Scott R Pyle <srpyle@c...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 07:04:56 -0500
Subject: RE: Starguard figs / Ogres for DII

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, George,Eugene M wrote:

> >>	    1/72nd is actually 20mm, but the Stargueard figures would be
BIG
> >20mm figures.  They are of roughly the same size as the GZG Stargrunt
> >figures.

	I think 1/72 is 25mm; 1/87 is 20mm, from my experience.

>	Yeah, 25mm is like 1/69 or so... but their 'page ad touts 'em as
close
> to 25mm.

	Like I said in earlier reply, I put Starguard minis at around
22-23mm, or roughly comparable to Stargrunt.

> >>I have to be honest, though; the quality has not impressed me at
> >all.  Very skinny figures, crude detail, awkward poses.  But the
prices are
> >nice, I'll give 'em that much.

	I didn't find them crude, but I guess by today's lofty
standards,
they do lack something in the way of detail, but they make up for that
in
characater and affordability.

>	I was afraid of that, too bad. A buck or so a fig IS pretty
good. The
> pics of the 1/300 scale tank on the miniatures page (
> http://www.eden.com/~tmp/ ) looks pretty hip, as do the 1/72 tanks
from
> Reviresco's page ( http://www.halcyon.com/shamrock/ ). I'm really
> enamored of the gauss artillery piece ( I have some metal magic
> Cybertech gunners with Arty shells in their hands that simply must be
> equipped with these beauties).

	I'll let folks know about the quality of the 1/300 Blower Cars
(read:GEVs) I get from reviresco (hopefully today or tomorrow). I like
that Gauss piece as well.

> > > On the other hand, some of the figures ARE
> >pretty nice.  I'm working on some of his "Nautaloid" figures right
now.
> >Basically, big cephelapods with snail shells on their backs and big
weapons.

	I love the Dreenoi "bugs" I got in my first order.

>	Well, maybe if I can get a grab-bag of stuff or buy a few
singles. Has
> anyone seen/played the rules. A well considered opinion is worth a
> lot.....

	I'm also expecting a pair of 25mm (i.e., 22-23mm) APCS with my
order of 1/300 stuff. I'll also report on thesewhen they arrive. As for
the rules.... I'm afraid I can't give them the ringing endorsement I
have
given the figures. They are at best disjointed, and at worst, possibly
unplayable in their current format. I think the nucleus of a good system
is there, but John desperately needs an editor and some more
playtesting.

	If you like the figures (as I very much do), play them with SGII
stuff (as I do), or with whatever rules you're fond of.

Scott R. Pyle
Assistant Cataloging Librarian
Youngstown State University
srpyle@cc.ysu.edu

Prev: RE: Starguard figs / Ogres for DII Next: Re: Star Wars micromachines