Prev: Re:If I remember correctly......HELP!!! Next: This is a little off full thrust(Like Lo

Re: Anime

From: "Joseph A. Noll" <Jnoll@m...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:57:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Anime

At 10:33 AM 1/24/97 +0000, you wrote:
>A slightly off-topic posting:
>
>I have just been reading the Appleseed series,  as this is my firsr
real
>foray into Anime I not very clued up on what other stuff is available.
>enjoyed the Appleseed background and equipment and I'd like to
read/watch
>more of this type of stuff,  however I am not into the giant robot
stuff,
>could anyone reccomend other Anime I should be looking for.
>
>I have also been looking through the GZG catalogue with an aim to buy
>myself the Poitman/first marksman set,  some ESWAT,  AD Police, plus a
>Landmate or two.   I would like to wargame with these figs in an Anime
>setting rather than the 'realistic' setting of SG II.	With this in
mind
>could anyone tell me more about the Animouch ! rules.

Stuart, Glad you liked Appleseed, I gather that you read the Manga and
not
had not watched the anime.  If you want to there is an anime of
Appleseed,
IMHO it is not nearly as good as the Manga, but is still worth watching.
Following is a list of Anime that may be to your liking.  BTW I believe
you
want stuff with the same feel as Appleseed, sorta cyberpunkish, with
cool toys.

Ghost in the Shell (anime movie and Manga series)
VOTOMS (anime series, sorta old but really good.)
Madox-01 (one shot anime, if you liked Appleseed you will like this.)
Patlabor (anime series,Movies) They are giant robots but, they are not
the
center of attention.
Macross (anime/manga) Just because it is a classic. More giant robots.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head that involve Landmate
type
stuff.	Others may have some ideas.  BTW don't limit yourself to this
type
of anime/manga there are all kinds out there and most of the best falls
outside the Giant robot or cyberpunk genra.

As for games I most definatly recommend HEAVY GEAR.  This is right up
your
alley, if I read you right.  The Mecha are Landmate like (though maybe
slightly bigger).  It has an anime feel and look and the combat is
deadly.
It is a Tactical and a Roleplaying game.  They also have tabletop rules
and
skirmish rules.  The background is awesome and is written for a western
audiance (hey! thier Canadians, what would you expect).  In fact I have
bought supplements to the game just to get the little story tidbits that
they throw in everywhere.  The system is simple and fun.  Has one of the
best vehical construction systems out there.  Also they have a full line
of
HO scale minatures (about 10mm scale for the infantry) these are also
awesome....all figs are casted by RAFM.

They are also due out with a Mekton Zeta version using the Heavy Gear
Rules
system.  This will have a more Japanese giant robot feel.

Later,
JNoll

Prev: Re:If I remember correctly......HELP!!! Next: This is a little off full thrust(Like Lo