Prev: Re: RAFM catalogue? Next: Re: Ion Cannons

Ion Cannons

From: dgundberg@b...
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:54:08 -0500
Subject: Ion Cannons

 Seasons Greetings all;

 With the impending release of the Star Wars Trilogy Special Editions
(US
 release dates of 1/31 for SW, 2/21 for TESB, and 3/7 for RotJ) it is
time
 to dust-off the FT-Star Wars conversions.

 One of the weapons often mentioned in this universe is the Ion Cannon.
 have not seen a FT conversion of an Ion Cannon that fits my vision of
this
 weapon that damages systems but not structure, so I created the my own.

 -Ion Cannon-
	Mass	   Cost     Dice Rolls 0"-10"	10"-20"    20"-30"
 Light	 2	 5+2/arc		2d6	  1d6
 Heavy	 3	 8+3/arc		3d6	  2d6	     1d6

 Firing is handled the same as beam batteries.	Hits are calculated the
 same as beams (1-3 no hits, 4-5 1 hit, 6 2 hits).  Armor and screens do

 not reduce hits.  Hits calculated do not mark off damage boxes but
 instead are the potential number of systems destroyed by threshold
rolls
 caused by the Ion Cannon hit.	A threshold roll of 5-6 indicates the
 system was destroyed.	Once the number of systems destroyed equals the
 total number of hits rolled, no more threshold rolls are made.  The
order
 in which systems have threshold rolls is up to the target ship's
player.
 Each system can only be rolled for only once due to hits from a single
 ship's fire.  There is the potential that no systems will be destroyed
if
 hits are made.  If a second ship hits the target ship with Ion Cannon
 fire, a new set threshold rolls would commence.

 Bio-ships and similar ships without internal systems would take damage
 equal to the hits rolled (shock damage).

 Comments? Questions? Nasty remarks? Should screens reduce hits like
beams?

 This version of Ion Cannons is kinda like an EMP missile and close to
an
 alternate weapon for the Sa'Vasku that I saw in this list's archives (I

 had already worked most of this out before I saw the Sa'Vasku weapon).

 More playtesting of Ion Cannons would help so I hope that some of you
 equip your fleets of Star Destroyers with these Ion Cannons.

 Dean Gundberg
 dgundberg@bcbsnd.com

Prev: Re: RAFM catalogue? Next: Re: Ion Cannons