Prev: More Thrust no more? Next: Re: construction times...

Re: Why big ships are too good...

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@a...>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:42:25 -0500
Subject: Re: Why big ships are too good...

Samuel Penn wrote:
> = According to the FAQ, EMP is generated by the asymmetric absorption
> = of instantaneous gamma rays produced by the explosion. Mid-altitude
> = bursts don't produce much EMP, because the gamma rays are absorbed
> = fairly uniformly. Low altitude and high altitude bursts do.
>
> I would think space would absorb gamma rays pretty damn uniformly.
> Anyway, the FAQ goes on to say:

Space does; the body of the ship is an entirely different matter.  I
wouldn't want to be a crewmember on a ship hit by an EMP missile.  Not
only would the Compton effect from the high-speed gamma cascading
through the metallic walls of the ship fry the electronics in a /much/
shorter distance than in an airburst, but my body wouldn't feel too
cheery after taking a cascade-group of alpha.  Ouch.

> I think when Matthew said "no pesky molecules to scatter and
> absorbe it" he summed it up pretty well, though not in quite
> the way intended :)

Except, of course, for the rest of the bulk of the ship.

--
Alexander Williams {zander@photobooks.com   ||Member: Evil Geniuses
		    thantos@alf.dec.com}    ||For a Better Tomorrow

"Perhaps we should lower our mental trousers and compare the size of
 our consciousnesses?"
				       -- Jan Sands to Marvin Minsky
					  comp.ai.genetic
		<http://www.photobooks.com/~zander/>

Prev: More Thrust no more? Next: Re: construction times...