Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Conversion reasons for FT...

Re: Missile storms

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 18:09:27 -0500
Subject: Re: Missile storms

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Geoff Webb wrote:

> Hi,
> I know this has been touched upon in the past but has anyone
> come up with an effective defense against very large
> numbers of missiles ?
<snip>

Try splitting your fleet into escort sized ships, 1/2 PT (Pulse Torpedo)

and half beams.  The higher maneuverability, thrust and increased number

of targets rapidly reduces the effectiveness of missile salvoes.  If
he's
got 23 missiles per ship there's probably not much else on them and they

should be good targets for pulse torpedoes.  Missile effectiveness is
radically reduced if you force the missiles to move before the
pre-plotted moves of the ships is revealed.  This will often force
attacking missiles to spread out trying to cover all the possibilities.

This is less effective with capital ships since their thrust and
maneuverability is lower but with escorts with thrust 6 or 8 moving
16-20
per turn you can effectively cut down the salvo to 1/4 the original
numbers that can possibly hit.

--Binhan

Prev: Re: Why big ships are too good... Next: Conversion reasons for FT...