Prev: Re: needle beam thoughts) Next: Re: Needle Beams

Re: Reflex Field Questions

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 17:18:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Reflex Field Questions

joachim wrote:
>@:) 3.  How does the field effect fire from fighters?	(There were
>@:) none in this game.  But the question did come up.)
>
>  The rules say the field is activated when the ship is fired upon by
>"beam weapons".  I would tend to interpret this to mean that the field
>is only effective against fire from beam weapons and not torpedoes,
>needle beams, rail guns, fighters, etc.  I guess this would mean that
>fighters are a good cure for reflex fielded ships?  I don't think it
>makes fighters any more powerful than they already are, really.

I would think fighters are affected by the field since they attack with
C-batt level weapons and are reduced by shields.

>  I don't think the rules ever suggest that a ship using a reflex
>field cannot simultaneously use normal screens.  But what happens when
>the reflex field is penetrated?  Presumably the screens absorb damage
>normally... right?

If they operate at the same time, this raises the question of the
operating
envelope of the reflex field and shields.  If the reflex field was below
the
shields, it could trigger a pinball-like effect where the beam fire
could
pass through the shields twice - once defending the target ship, and
once
outgoing towards the firing ship.  If this was the case, the target
ship's
shields would also work to protect the firing ship from the return fire.
 It
might work if the reflex field was on the outside, except how could the
ship
maintain two distinctly different energy fields layered on top of each
other
at the same time?  It seems more plausible to use one or the other.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: needle beam thoughts) Next: Re: Needle Beams