Prev: Re: Conventional DS2? Next: Re: Scotia MicroModels

Re:Threshold Levels

From: Brian Bell <103311.1205@C...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 23:51:08 -0500
Subject: Re:Threshold Levels

Which reminds me of one popular local complaint about FT. There really
no such thing as a critical hit. You've got to pound the shit out of a
big ship forever, to neutralize or destroy it. Not as satisfying as
seeing a WWI German cruiser blow sky high on a magazine hit in a game
of Panzerschiffe the other day. And remember the Hood?

I've always thought it excellent that FT has such a GREAT critical hit
system. You can never tell which systems are going to die when you
go over a threshold. (In short you make critical hit checks all at
once.)

If you want more critical hits (why???) you could always mark off damage
down
the column instead of across the row. This would give MUCH more critical
chances.

I do agree, however, that capitals have an undue advantage for delaying
criticals. A good rule of thumb would have been:
  Escorts 2-18 tons:	2 rows
  Cruisers 19-36 tons:	3 rows
  Capitals 37-50 tons:	4 rows
	   51-75 tons:	5 rows
	   76-100 tons: 6 rows
  Superships:		1 row for each 25 or fraction thereof.
-or-
  All ships have 1 threshold row plus 1 threshold row per 50 tons (round
up).

While I'm here criticizing the game I love...

It was a shame that Jon didn't spread the classes more evenly. Such as:
Corvette/Gunboat:    1-10 tons	Escort
Frigate:	    11-20 tons	Escort
Destroyer:	    21-30 tons	Escort
Lt Cruiser:	    31-40 tons	Cruiser
Escort Cruiser:     41-50 tons	Cruiser
Hvy Cruiser:	    51-60 tons	Cruiser
Battlecruiser:	    61-70 tons	Capital
Battleship:	    71-80 tons	Capital
Battledreadnought:  81-90 tons	Capital
Superdreadnought:   91-100 tons Capital
  This would have given Escorts and Cruisers more meaning. A 30 ton ship
with an
thrust of 8 is something could be something to contend with! Likewise a
60 ton
ship with a thrust of 6 heading toward your flank is a threat!

Prev: Re: Conventional DS2? Next: Re: Scotia MicroModels