Prev: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some

Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:13:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Daryl writes:

> I'm not sure what's survivable (by survivable I mean being able to
>  function after the burst of G's) ... let's assume 10 G's (How many
G's
>  do fighter pilots take before blacking out (something like 7 isn't
>  it?)

Humans have withstood as much as 45 Gs for fractions of a second
(Apollo, I
think), but obviously not for more than that. The "record" AFAIK for
sustained acceleration without blacking out is 17 Gs for 4 minutes. Of
course, that's the equivilent of the Olympic Record: for us mere
mortals, I
think 10 Gs is probably a good assumption. Of course, people aren't
going to
be walking around fixing engines and such during 10 Gs.  ;-)

My source for the above is "The Starflight Handbook" I mentioned awhile
back,
but it doesn't cite who/where/whens for the "records."

Scott Field

NEUROTIC: Sane, but unhappy about it.