Prev: Sa'Vasku stuff Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:44:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics

Date sent:  30-OCT-1996 16:40:43

>> I'm not sure what's survivable (by survivable I mean being able to
>>  function after the burst of G's) ... let's assume 10 G's (How many
G's
>>  do fighter pilots take before blacking out (something like 7 isn't
>>  it?)

>Humans have withstood as much as 45 Gs for fractions of a second
(Apollo, I
>think), but obviously not for more than that. The "record" AFAIK for
>sustained acceleration without blacking out is 17 Gs for 4 minutes. Of
>course, that's the equivalent of the Olympic Record: for us mere
mortals, I
>think 10 Gs is probably a good assumption. Of course, people aren't
going to
>be walking around fixing engines and such during 10 Gs.  ;-)

IIRC, it's more like 6G. Anything more than that requires special
training,
in the form of breathing exercises, and special equipment helps too.

You'll notice that fighter pilot's don't talk much when pulling G, and
their
breathing goes all funny. If they were to breath regularly, they'd be
out
like a light.

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
| #include "witty_saying"	      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Sa'Vasku stuff Next: Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: coupla Full Thrust questions inspire some tactics