Prev: Re: Book Review: "Fleet Tactics" Next: RE: FT Thrust question...

Re: FT Thrust question...

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 20:37:26 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Thrust question...

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 pcaron%nhqvax.dnet@rapnet.sanders.lockheed.com
wrote:

>	Has anyone out there noticed that the small ships in fleet
> engagements tend to get blown up too easily.	Our group has.	Maybe
it's
> just the tactics we're using but it seems to me that our small ships
> get blown to bits in the first few turns.

It's pretty much the way things are.  Small ships have fewer hit before
taking threshold checks and fewer systems.  Plus the inability or
expense
of putting shield on small craft makes them completely open to mass
destruction.  You pretty much have to view small ships as very large
fighters and expect most of them not to return.

	Targeting small ships makes sense since you can completely
eliminate a ship with a salvo or two, totally removing its weapons
systems, whereas a large capital ship may take two or three salvoes to
get to the first threshold check and even then you may only reduce, not
eliminate its firepower.  The usual tactics for our group are to use
smaller ships as a "living" shield, full thrust into the enemy
formation,
do as much damage as possible and absorb some salvoes that may have
otherwise been targeted at the capitals.

--Binhan Lin

Prev: Re: Book Review: "Fleet Tactics" Next: RE: FT Thrust question...