Prev: Re: B5\FT\Shadows\Telepaths (spoiler) Next: Re: Beam Batteries

Re: Beam Batteries (long)

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 08:30:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Beam Batteries (long)

At 09:01 AM 10/12/96 +0000, you wrote:

>Give me a weapon that does 9d6 out to only 6" any day. Provided the
>carrying vessel is fast enough to get into range, and the beams have
>'arcness'. The maneuver advantage is always with the aggressor. The
>guy with the longer range has two problems. First, he can't hope to
>go 'Knife Fighting' with a ship armed like that. At close ranges,
>the shorter ranged weapons have MUCH more firepower. Second, to gain
>advantage for the longer ranged weapons, you must, on occasion, turn
>away from the aggressor, so you can't fire at him at all for some of
>the time.

	You've got a point. 9d6 out to only 6" would scare the hell out
of
me. On the other hand, I personally would never deploy such a weapon. I
mean
what with wave guns and missiles and fighters and such, I'd be scared of
being cut down before I ever got a chance to fight. But it would still
be a
frightening weapon...

>Simply put, I find the ability to roll lots of dice in one burst far
>more advantageous than the ability to plink away at long range. It also
>helps keep a logical progression in die gain over range. eg;
>
>4d6,3d6,2d6,1d6 (my disruptors)
>
>makes more sense than.
>
>3d6,3d6,2d6,1d6 (your disruptors)
>
>So it makes them a little more playable.

	You've got a good point here too. I would prefer the 4/3/2/1
progression but it makes the A disruptor more powerful than the 18d6
limit
that the other batteries (mostly) seem in line with. I know its a minor,
little, quibbling, tiny advantage but the players I've got tend to look
for
just such things and then max them out on all their fleets. I wouldn't
need
perfectly mathematically balanced weapons if players around here were
willing to design their fleets with their own personal preferences
towards
combat in mind (you know, treating it like a game) instead of an
exercise in
accounting.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Re: B5\FT\Shadows\Telepaths (spoiler) Next: Re: Beam Batteries