Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: Re: Streamlining

Re: Beam Batteries

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:45:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Beam Batteries

Binhan writes:

> On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, David Kendall Lewis wrote:
>
>  > This is my first message to the Full Thrust mail group, so forgive
me if
>  > am covering already hashed over ground.  I just bought the game and
it's
>  > More Thrust last night and I am having a problem with Beam
Batteries.
>  >
>  > Unless you only have 1-2 mass left on your ship, I can't see a time
where
>  > you would want to buy anything *but* A batteries.	A Batteries are
clearly
>  > superior in a cost/benefit analysis which I show below using the
lowest
>  > common denominator for mass (6):
>
>	There have been multiple solutions to the problem.  Some of the
>  most common are 1) increase the mass of A batteries to 4 without
>  increaseing cost.  2) as you mentioned increase the cost of the
>  batteries. 3) do both 1 and 2.  4) make A batteries a higher "tech"
>  level and thus only available to more advanced races.

Another option is to restrict firing arcs: A-bats can only mount 1 arc,
B-bats up to 2, and so forth. I think this makes more interesting ship
designs IMHO. Other people have suggested allowing A-bats only on
Capital
ship.

Scott Field

"You wouldn't say an axe handle has style to it. It has beauty, and an
appropriateness of form, and a "this-is-how-it-should-be-ness." But it
has no
style because it has no mistakes. Style reflects one's idiosyncrasies."
					   -- Charles Eames

Prev: RE: FT3, details of needed changes Next: Re: Streamlining