Prev: Re: Storing FT minis Next: Re: Storing FT minis

Re: Storing FT minis

From: Andrew Cowell <cowell@c...>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:07:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Storing FT minis

In message
<Pine.A32.3.95.961001162118.59099A-100000@homer03.u.washington.edu>,
 "W. Nitsche" writes:
> On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, John Crimmins wrote:
>
> Another possibility is using 2-gun pistol cases.  They come lined with
> thick eggshell foam.	You'll probably need to cut into the foam for
each
> piece, but it gives great support and you can hold alot of metal in
them.
> You can effectively get two layers of figs in if you add a piece of
1/2"
> foam on the top layer.  These cases are VERY sturdy and have clasps
that
> hold well and take alot of abuse.

Well, here in America, hunting season is upon us, and now is a good time
to buy these cases.  I get mine at Wal-mart, and after hunting season,
they are gone.

I'm a big believer in these.  I have three of them that I'll describe
below.	Let me note that I've seen a lot of similar cases as mini
specific cases, but cost usually 2-3 times as much.  They are strong
and sturdy; I've thrown them across the room (the small ones) in the
face of doubters.  Note that the egg crate foam will not hold as many
figs as flat foam (with cuts for bases, etc...)

1) Single pistol case, $6: Each half about 1" deep, 12" wide and 8"
tall.  Holds 24 figures cramped in the eggshell foam.

2) Double pistol case, $10: Bottom half about 4" deep, top about 2"
deep; 16" wide, 12" tall.  I bought my own 1/2" foam and used it
instead of the egg crate foam.	This gave me about 3-4 layers of
miniatures, and carried well over 200 25+mm figs.  I was disappointed
with the thin foam, though; it buckled when you tried to pull it
out.  The case, however, stood up to 2 months in Germany and a hectic,
heavy use week in the UK.  Yeah, I carried it on, but only because
I was scared of it getting lost, not destroyed.  :)

3) The single-layer rifle case, $20 (I think they have a 2 layer one):
Each half about 2" deep, maybe 4' wide and 12" tall.  I replaced the
egg foam with 1" thick stiff foam, and it works much better.  I actually
use this to hold all the unpainted miniatures.	This method easily holds
over 300 25+mm figs.

--
Andrew E. B. Cowell <cowell@cs.utk.edu>
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~cowell/

Prev: Re: Storing FT minis Next: Re: Storing FT minis