Prev: Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Re: Bugs in SG2

Bugs in SG2

From: "John Phelps" <jphelps@a...>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 16:35:00 -0400
Subject: Bugs in SG2

This is a followup to my previous post, which described command and
control, psychology, and some special rules.  An earlier post described
more background and stuff, if you need that let me know.  One of these
days, I'll put up a Web page.  :)

Here are the stats for the various bug forms and the weapons they use.
Please note the combat move is slightly different for some of them (the
forms that are "charging" forms have a better move ability).

I have a scenario put together for these, but I haven't had time to try
it
yet.

See what you think!

John

------

Bug Type 1 (Skirmisher)
-----------------------

The smallest form, it is only 1m tall or so.  It travels on the back
four
limbs most of the time, and the upper pair of limbs are manipulative
members (with a four-clawed hand).  It carries a ranged weapon derived
from
plants.  Two different weapons have been observed, differing in the ammo
used, which affects the range and strength of the attack.  The longer
range
weapon fires a thorny spike, the other fires a seed pod that explodes
when
it strikes a target.

Speed: 6" (d6x2 for combat move)
Armor: d4 (tough hide)
Troop Quality: Regular
Unit Size: 5 to 10
Instinctive Behavior: Hunt

Weapons:
   type 1 - spikes - FP 1, Impact d10
   type 2 - pods - (range limited to two increments) FP 2, Impact d8

Bug Type 2 (Hopper)
-------------------

Closely related to the Skirmisher form, the Hopper is slightly larger,
with
stronger limb muscles.	It does not carry a weapon, but the middle two
limbs have evolved into long, razor-edged claws.  It travels on the hind
pair of limbs, running and bounding in a series of short jumps.  It can
cross an obstacle (such as a wall) 2" tall without movement penalty, or
up
to 4" tall by spending 2 movement factors for the jump.

Speed: 8" (combat move is 12 + 1d6")
Armor: d4 (tough hide)
Troop Quality: Regular
Unit Size: 5 to 10
Special: gets a 1 die shift up in close combat for the bladed claws
Instinctive Behavior: Charge

Bug Type 3 (Attacker)
---------------------

The most feared form, the attacker is 2m tall.	Strongly muscled, and
very
tough, it also relies on close assault.  It travels on the hind pair of
limbs, the middle pair have manipulative hands (whose only real purpose
seems to be to grip a victim), and the upper pair have a large,
three-bladed claw instead of a hand.

Speed: 8" (combat move is 12 + 1d6")
Armor: d8 (tough carapace and hide)
Troop Quality: Veteran
Unit Size: 4 to 6
Special:  = gets 1 die shift up in close combat for claws
	  = causes terror in close combat
Instinctive Behavior: Charge

Bug Type 4 (Warrior)
--------------------

The leader and soldier form.  Physically the tallest form, over 3m tall.

It also is adapted to walk upright on the rear pair of limbs.  The
middle
pair of limbs are short, clawed arms.  The upper pair are manipulative,
and
a wide variety of weapons have been observed.  The common combinations
are
two swords, sword and spiner, the "Belcher", or the heavy spiner.  The
weapons are described below.

Speed: 6" (combat move is d6x2)
Armor: d12 (armored carapace)
Troop Quality: Elite
Unit Size: 2 to 4 (sometimes occuring as individual models)
	  - 1 model has a belcher or heavy spiner
Special:  = gets 1 die shift up in close combat (size)
	  = gets another die shift up if armed with sword
	  = causes terror in close combat
	  = intelligent, does not rely on instinct

Weapons:
   Spiner: a small weapon that fires out a cloud of sharp spines
	   = Close range only, FP 2, Impact d8
   Belcher: a large weapon that uses compressed gas to fire a large pod
containing a powerful acid.  The pod bursts when it hits a target.
	   = support weapon, d8, Impact d10 (affects vehicles, x2 for
MAJOR
penetration)
   Heavy Spiner: a large weapon, fires clusters of spines to long range
	   = support weapon, d12, Impact d8

John Phelps  ****   mailto: pbguru@cris.com or jphelps@austin.apple.com
OIC, Gundi's Gang -- Anything expressed above is strictly my opinion --
Murphy's Law of Combat, #66:
	    The enemy is never watching until you make a mistake.

Prev: Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Re: Bugs in SG2