Prev: Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad Next: RE: Micromachines Ships

Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

From: Rick Rutherford <rickr@d...>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:27:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad

On 12 Sep 1996 M.J.Elliott@uk22p.bull.co.uk wrote:
> The main emphasis in BDS reagarding aliens will be how different
> stock" alien types handle Confidence and Reaction and Command and
> Control (AFAIK at the moment).
>
> Anybody got any suggestions?

It always seemed to me that "stock" alien types don't have any problems
with morale, but are extremely difficult to command and control.

This applies both to the aliens in the Aliens movies, and to the Ewoks
in Return of the Jedi.	In both cases, the alien types act more like a
ravaging warband than anything else.

The bugs from Starship Troopers would be similar, but I think they would
have to be controlled by a Brain Bug in order to do anything -- i.e.
the (possibly unseen) Brain Bug would need to give orders to its units
in order for them to do ANYTHING except for possibly moving forward.

Other than the ravaging warband model, most designers seem to apply
World War II stereotypes to their aliens in order to characterize them,
i.e.. Germans are methodical but lack initiative, Japanese are fanatical
fighters (Banzai!), Russians are poorly equipped and trained but far too
numerous for anyone's comfort, etc.

Rick Rutherford       rickr@digex.net	    The above opinions are mine.
"It seems to me that the nearer painting approaches sculpture the better
it is, and that sculpture is the worse the nearer it approaches
painting."
					     -- Michelangelo

Prev: Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad Next: RE: Micromachines Ships