Prev: RE: Fantasy combat with DS2? Next: RE: An idea for Svasku

RE: Pulse torpedoes

From: timj@u...
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 00:07:14 -0400
Subject: RE: Pulse torpedoes

Jay Haygood wrote:

--For your Trekkers, how else could the Enterprise fire a full spread of

--torpedoes? Torpedoes have a shorter range (i am almost sure) than
beams.

Photon Torpedoes in the Trek Universe (STTNG Tech Manual) have a _much_
longer
range than beam weapons, they are warp capable guided missiles. The Tech
manual
states that a ptorp has a range of several million kilometers while
phasers are
several hundred thousand kilometers (not having the book here to quote
exactly
from).

In my Trek games you only need 1 firecon to launch any number of
torpedoes this
simulates Worf at tactical on the bridge doing the initial targetting.
After
that the torpedoes own terminal guidance system takes over. I use the
analogy of
wire guided torpedos in modern subs - they are guided close to their
targets by
a firecon but can be cut loose to home acoustically if the wire runs out
at long
range or you have to go evasive because the other guy shot at you.

	Tim

Prev: RE: Fantasy combat with DS2? Next: RE: An idea for Svasku