Prev: Re: Fighter Numbers/Regroup Option Next: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)

Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:09:04 -0400
Subject: Re: hyperspace (was: cloaking device rules)

Excerpts from FT: 27-Aug-96 Re: hyperspace (was: cloaki.. by Joachim H.
- SunSoft@Eas
>   Actually, I don't know whether RTGs really qualify as "reactors"
> since there isn't really a reaction going on - it's just a lump of
> radioactive material decaying and generating heat.  I believe the
> Soviets have lofted some satellites with real working nuclear fission
> reactors on board.  At any rate I remember people arguing about that
> on sci.space some time ago.

Yes, the Soviets did launch actual reactors... they built "do
everything" satellites that couldn't get enough power out of RTGs, so
they used reactors.  One of 'em came down in Canada, in the early 70s I
think, and caused quite a fuss.  If I recall correctly, that's also
about the time the UN started working on "who owns the space (object)"
laws, which in the end meant that yes, the Sovs *did* have to pay for
the cleanup....

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: Fighter Numbers/Regroup Option Next: Re: Real Life Thrust (was: hyperspace)