Prev: Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion? Next: Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion?

Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion?

From: timj@u...
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:21:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion?

jazz.ucc.uno.edu wrote:

--I'm not sure about this, because my brother still has my copies of
--the books (*#@!*), but I believe that at the end of the 3d book (?)
--there is an appendix that describes the PSB behind the armaments
--and equipment in the series.

The summary is in the Appendix of 'A Short Victorious War' ASVW which
contains
some of the better SF big ship battle scenes in any books I have read.
It also
contains lots of the isn't 'Honor Wonderful' yucky bits.

One of the conversion issues in the Honor Harrington Universe (HHU) is
the
ability of the ships to roll thus using the impenetrable impellor wedge
as an
unbreachable shield. As this 3D tactical manoeuvering is the essence of
many
encounters as well as the inertia/vector movement it would be nice to
capture
that in the FT conversion. The ships all have inertial dampers without
which you
could not survive the 500G accelerations. This equipment should be on
the SSD so
that if you loose it at hi-G - yucky (this event is mentioned in ASVW).

As to weapons what you summarise seems fine. In 'A Short Victorious War'
the
weapon systems I remember most were, scatter pack missle pods towed
behind ships
on tractor beams. Lots & lots of PDAF/ADAF ability for massive missile
(800+)
swarms.

Also the use of Mines, that use single shot fusion bombs to fire high
enery
beams.

Ships of the 'Wall' Massive Super Dreadmoughts that destroy a 3xBC in a
single
salvo! The 'Wall' is a formation where Super/Dreadnoughts form a wall in
space
as they stack vertically. This is they used to bring massive of
firepower on the
enemy.

The other thing is the whole sensors & detection game which really gives
the
tension in the HHU, with the Manticore Navy (USA) having FTL sensors
while the
Peoples Republic Of Haven (USSR) don't have them, but they do have
stealth
platforms (Spy Trawlers).

The HHU cries out for Campaign rules as well as a lot of the bluff &
counter
bluff to get more ships against less ships ultimately gets you victory.
ASVW is
all about fleet dispositions & strategic bluffing.

Oh yes they have jump points, similar to B5. Jump engines have to cycle.

For ship models - scratch build - ASVW gives a synopsis of what a ship
looks
like but it wasn't that clear to be - ASCII art anyone?

I'd love to know how Mr Wikan does those incredibly cool B5/SW counters,
suspect he has a nice solid modeller/renderer somewhere?

	Tim

Prev: Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion? Next: Re: Honor Harrington: Ideas for conversion?