Prev: Problems fixed... Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)

Re: Star Wars Full Thrust

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 17:32:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Wars Full Thrust

In message <199608191416.KAA00519@zocalo.ash> you wrote:

> I have been asked many times, and I have procrastinated long enough,
so
> here are my stats that I came up with for Star Wars in full thrust. I
have
> tried to stay as true to both the movies and the system. I do not
> adhere to multiple-classed fighters. Mass is determined by dividing
ship
> lenth by 16. Fighters that FTL into the game are subject to endurance,
> fighters transported in are not. Ship stats are taken from the
> role-playing game, X-Wing, T.I.E. Fighter, and things seen in the
> movies. Interdictor Wells create a 12" radious no-ftl-zone centered on
> the generator. OK,  Let us begin ...
>
> Fighter Classification		Fighter Designation
> ----------------------------- 	----------------------------
> Normal Fighter			Z-95, T.I.E. Fighter
> Fast Fighter			A-Wing, T.I.E. Interceptor Prototype
> Heavy Fighter 		X-Wing, B-Wing, Assault Gunboat
> Interceptor Fighter			T.I.E. Interceptor
> Attack Fighter			Y-Wing
> Torpedo Fighter			T.I.E. Bomber

Just to be really picky, what about:

TIE/gt - a TIE/in designed for bombing missions
TIE/rc - recon
TIE/fc - fire control

The TIE/in is the standard TIE (the T.I.E. designation was only
used for the prototype).

I'd suggest:

TIE/in		 standard fighter
TIE/gt		 attack fighter
TIE/rc		 special: fast fighters which carry sensors (as per
active
		 military sensors), and do half damage versus fighters
		 and ships.
TIE/fc		 special: designates a target within 6" of the squadron,
		 and all large ships gets +1 to beam weapon attacks
		 when rolling damage against it.
TIE bomber	 torpedo fighter
TIE interceptor  interceptor

Remember also that rebel fighters all have hyperspace capability.
They also have shields, effectively making them heavy fighters,
but we'd have to start having multi-type fighters so it's probably
best to ignore this latter. I'd say X-Wings should be interceptors
(since they're damn good at dog fighting), but otherwise as you've
got.

The problem with the big ships is Star Wars doesn't fit into Full Thrust
very well (in fact, SW ships tend to break any system you convert them
to - SW ships are more like cities, than spaceships).

I did start out converting SW ships by deciding how many systems they
needed to have, and then figuring the mass around that. A rebel
assualt frigate comes out around mass 180. A Victory class Star
Destroyer around 250/300.

I haven't worked out an Imperial Class, but consider that it has
72 fighters (that's mass 144), and 120 big guns (another ~300 mass),
and we're talking something _really_ big.

And then there's the Super Class Star Destroyer...
(I'll ignore the Death Star, and the really sick super ships in
Dark Empire).

Basically, there's two ways of doing the SW->FT conversion, either
keeping true to FT (what you've done), or keeping true to SW (my
preferred way).

One other thing: if you have a force user in your fleet, controlling
a cloaked ship becomes _much_ easier. Of course, detecting the
enemies cloaked vessels also becomes possible.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Problems fixed... Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)