Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)

Re: CMD Future Wars products

From: FieldScott@a...
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:20:23 -0400
Subject: Re: CMD Future Wars products

Hi all!

I'm back from wedding/honeymoon, etc (had a great time, thanks!) and
just
finished reading through the 185 e-mails that were waiting for me. I
thought
I'd throw my $.02 in on the thermal imaging discussion.

As already mentioned, individual thermal sights do exist today; they are
expensive, but in another 10 or 20 years (R&D and procurement run on
geologic
time) they should be as common as standard night vision devices are
today. I
haven't used them enough to comment on the effects of prolonged use, but
the
same was true of early "starlight" scopes. Presumably, that too can be
corrected in another 100 years.

But of course, for every advance there is a countermeasure. Morgul
mentioned
the thermal dampening effects of BDU's (I've checked this out with a TOW
thermal sight -- it roughly halves the distance at which you can be
spotted.)
The same could be done with camo nets, etc. And we already have
mulit-spectral smoke that can block thermal imaging. Of course, more
advanced, powerful sights that can see through multi-spectral smoke are
surely not far behind....

Cheers!
Scott Field

"Give me 1000 words and I can have the Lord's Prayer, the 23rd Psalm,
the
Hippocratic Oath, a sonnet by Shakespeare, the Preamble to the
Constitution,
Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, and enough left over for just about all of
the
Boy Scout Oath -- and I wouldn't trade them to you for any picture on
earth."
				     -- Dallas Williams

Prev: Re: CMD Future Wars products Next: Re: Ship Record Cards (was I survived GenCon)