Prev: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it? Next: Re: B5 PBeM gaming (was: Re: assistance...)

RE: SGII what genere do you play

From: Adam Delafield <A.Delafield@b...>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:53:31 -0400
Subject: RE: SGII what genere do you play

Date sent:  14-AUG-1996 13:08:04

>Hi, Just sent the order out to Geo-Hex for SGII,  Heard so many people
on
>the net talk about it I just had to try it.  BTW I would have gotten it
>anyway I own all GZG's other games.  Curiously I haven't seen much
>disscussion of SGII on the mail list, I know it for FT but Dirtside II
has
>a pretty good following here.	So to start discussion I am posing the
>following question.

>I've heard that SGII is, like all GZG games, very adaptible to other
>generes.  What generes do you play SGII in, your own, or a conversion
of
>other popular gameing universes?  Why not tell us about them.

I play in the 40K universe. Contrary to popular belief, the 40K universe
is well thought out. The wealth of background information given in RT
makes it easy to assemble platoons for any of the races mentioned there.

I've given Bolt Guns a low rate of fire (1) but well hard (d12) impact.
Only good troops (Marines at 75% Vet 25% Elite) can make any use of
them.
 have to get real close to hit anything.

Las guns have a high accuracy (3) but poor impact (d6). It helps make up
for the IG low skill (25% 60% 15% Green Regular Vet).

Shuriken Catapults are just flashy Gause Guns from the core rules. In
the
hands of guardians they are good, in the hands of Aspect Warriors they
are deadly.

Most troops can be sorted into the three basic armour types. Marines are
classed as regular movement, but with d10 power assisted personal
armour.
They don't get all the nifty benefits that full 'powered armour' does.
Terminators get d12 power armour, all the benefits, but only slow (6/d6)
movement. Their Elite status and Storm Bolters (2/d12) ensure that they
spend most games pinned, if their opponent has any wits.

Medics suddenly turn out to be one of the most valuable troop types in
the game.

>A second question, I have not as yet committed any money to 25mm Sci-fi
for
>SGII.	I'm thinking of getting some of the official mini's for the game
>and using them in my own Universe.  I	tend to like realistic looking
>figures.  What I want to know is how do you rate the GZG figures for
SGII.
> Which of the nationalities do you like the most.  And what are the
comon
>paint schemes for them.

I've got two lots.

NAC Marines. They wear partial body armour (chest, shoulders, fore arms,
front of thighs, knees and lower legs) and a visored 'tanker' helmet.
Their standard firearm is a bulpup style rifle with under barrel grenade
launcher. I've painted these guys drab green, though in photos they
are often depicted in camouflage. They also include the most impressive
female models I have ever seen. Full body armour, correctly
proportioned,
(ie no huge bazukas (one does have a SAW though)) yet still clearly
female.

FSE Colonial Legionnaires. They wear what looks like a NCBW suit with a
armour
breastplate. Oversized helmet (similar to the modern US helmet) and
carry a weapon similar to the HK rifle that keeps changing it's name.
(You know, the one set up for caseless rounds). Some wear goggles and a
face
mask.

Although the ones I saw at Ragnacon were painted up brightly in blues
and
whites, I'm going to paint mine green. Those that have caps (What do
you call those Gendarm style caps?) will have blue (or white for
officers)
caps, but I want them to look like they mean business, so it's dull down
for camouflage time.

Also available are ESU troops who look 'top heavy' as the helmet is
often
the only piece of armour they wear, and NAC panzagrenadiers who wear
full (unpowered) body armour. IF and 'African' troops are also out.

Power troops are available for NAC (If I told you that they looked like
Zippy of Rainbow I don't think it would help any), ESU and NSL.
Apparently
it is unlikely that any other groups will get powered armour. This will
probably be written into the background at a later date as the ESU
selling
their power armour to other parties.

Resin vehicles are available for all sides, but you don't have to stick
to whats written (You can give your ESU team a Paladin if you want, even
though 'officially' it is an NAC vehicle).

That help any?

| Adam Delafield, I.T. Officer	      | Bolton Institute,  |
|				      | Eagle Tower,	   |
| E-mail : ad4@Bolton.ac.uk	      | College Way,	   |
| Phone  : +44 1204 528851 (ext 3163) | Bolton, UK.	   |
| Fax	 : +44 1204 399074	      | BL3 5AE.	   |

Prev: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it? Next: Re: B5 PBeM gaming (was: Re: assistance...)