Prev: Re: I survived GenCon! Next: RE: SGII what genere do you play

Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?

From: Kyle Klingler <kklinglr@f...>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:35:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Yamato: Why did I watch it?

All right, I've read all of the responses to Mark's note and nobody has
stepped up to give a response to his review of Space Battleship Yamato.

Don't let one movie spoil your opinion of the series.  The movie Space
Battleship Yamato was made after the original TV series had run and
condensed the entire series into a 135 minute movie and even made some
changes in the plot.  There are 4 other Yamato movies that are much
better
than this one.

Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato
(IMHO, you're better off finding the subtitled version of this movie.
They did a poor job of translating for the dubbing.)
The crew of the Yamato steal the Yamato from storage to investigate a
call
for help and discover that a comet heading toward Earth is really the
evil
Comet Empire bent on conquering the galaxy.  It contains some good fleet
battles and a desperate battle at the end that results in death of most
of
the crew and fighter pilots along the Yamato itself.  (Be warned that
the
final "death sequence" drags)  This movie resulted in the second TV
series
being produced that expanded out the story and changed the ending with
the
Yamato being spared.  I can't recall now which episode it is, but one of
the episodes toward the end of the TV series contains a great battle
sequence involving the Yamato and a fleet of Earth Defense Force
carriers
involved in laying a trap for the invading Comet Empire fleet.

Space Battleship Yamato - The New Voyage
This movie takes place after the second TV series (The Comet Empire) and
involves the Yamato and it's previous enemy Desslok in a chase with a
runaway planet and a battle with the Dark Empire who caused it.  Only 2
big battles and an average plot.

Be Forever Yamato
The Dark Empire return to hold Earth captive with a huge bomb while the
Yamato travel to their enemy's home galaxy to find the trigger and save
the Earth.  Again a few battle sequences and average plot.  If you like
underground resistance plots, check this one out.

Final Yamato
If you have 3 hours (that's right, a 3 hour animated movies) I recommend
this movie.  The plot would take a while to explain and it's late now,
but
the basic plot is Earth in danger, Yamato is their only hope.  Several
great battle sequences, including the unusual scene of the Yamato doing
barrel rolls while firing it's main guns.  (it has to be seen for a good
smile)

The Bolor Wars (3rd TV Series)
The basic plot is that Earth is caught in the middle of a war which
cause
the Sun to start to build up to supernova.  Yamato must either find a
new
home for Earth or a cure for the Sun's problem.  This series contains
less
episodes than the other 2 because of budget contraints.  (Some great
plot
ideas were lost and story itself seems rushed)

Although the 3 TV series (The Quest for Iscandar, The Comet Empire, and
the Bolar Wars) contain good battle sequences involving capital ships
and
fighters, they suffer the problem of being "Americanized".  Scenes of
violence, brief nudity, references to WWII, and death were removed
because
these episodes were being shown on TV to kids.	Hence the dubbed
storylines seem to be very weak.  Someday I would love to watch a
subtitled version of the TV episodes to compare with the dubbed
episodes.

Mark mentioned that he thought the animation was not that good; that is
was too much like Speed Racer.	You have to remember that Space
Battleship
Yamato and the first TV series were created back in the 70's and
animation
has "grown up" since then.

Please let me know your thoughts about this note and I will try to
clarify
what I have stated.  (I usually don't get things right the first time.)

*  Kyle Klingler - kklinglr@freenet.columbus.oh.us  "I'm not dumb.   *
* I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."  Calvin  *
*   "I have the strength of madness."  Miaowara Shiro		     *

Prev: Re: I survived GenCon! Next: RE: SGII what genere do you play