Prev: Re: Torpedoes Next: Re: Torpedoes

Re: Torpedoes

From: JAMES BUTLER <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:46:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Torpedoes

At 10:36 PM 8/9/96 +0000, you wrote:

>You have this problem even with equal point value games? True, 'a'
>batteries are	the weapon of preference, but if you limit the point
>value per side to the game, wee have found you run out QUICKLY! Also,
>wee have seen while 'a' batteries are more preferable in combat, once
>thresholds are suffered and you lose those precious 'a' batteries,
>there's something to be said for the 3 'b' to 2 'a' ratio. Anyone
>involved in a campaign would see that, especially when damage continues
>from battle to battle unless repaired at space dock ...
>

>Paul

	It's a definite problem. One of my group's players (for a quick
equal point game) put together a capital ship with 14 (!) A-bats and a
screen generator. That's it. Now if you think that's bad--wait for
it--he
had no point defense in his entire fleet!! The battle was a four way
free
for all and one player had a ton of missiles on his ships but he chose
use them against a player whose fleet was closer to his. The other two
players had neither fighters nor missiles to exploit his fleet's
weakness.
Now personally, I think building a fleet with no point defense and
cramming
the hulls with A-bats is so bad as to nearly be obscene but there's
nothing
in the rules to prevent it. I'm also pretty sure that if after every
abuse I
put in a rule like "you've got to have so many point defense systems in
your
fleet" or something people will feel so bogged down by my added rules
that
they won't want to play anymore.

James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: Re: Torpedoes Next: Re: Torpedoes