Prev: C-bats as PDAF Next: Re: Star Wars Models ...

Re: Star Wars Models ...

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:11:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Wars Models ...

Oerjan Ohlson writes:
@:) On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Paul A Neher wrote:
@:)
@:) > If you want a real cool game that gives that feel of fighter
@:) > combat, try finding a copy of Star Warriors by West End
@:) > Games. It is excellent!
@:) >

@:) I strongly disagree. Sure, it tells you the difference between the
@:) different fighters... but I don't think it's excellent, in the
@:) same way that I don't think Car Wars is an excellent car combat
@:) game - a game turn, depicting a very short period of time, takes a
@:) rather long time to play. Too long, IMO.
@:)
@:) Of course, I haven't seen any other fighter games, so I can't
@:) point you at anything better :(

  I was, for a time, quite fond of FASA's Interceptor game, part of
their Renegade Legion system.  Unfortunately, there were far too many
rules loopholes and as soon as we started trying to add all the nifty
stuff like space stations and patrol boats we started running into
completely stupid problems.  The "impenetrable shields" bug and the
"immobile space station can't hit a ship sitting on its center turret"
bug made it extremely difficult to come up with a workable basis for
games.	Still, I thought the movement system was pretty good, and I
was completely in love with the weapons, armor and damage techniques -
I am one of those guys who loves Xing out the auxilliary bridge on my
SFB SSD, and I thought the "circuit diagram" damage in Interceptor was
great.	Good game for models, although we never had any and I don't
know whether any were made.  I wish they would release a bug fix patch
so people could actually play that game.

-joachim

Prev: C-bats as PDAF Next: Re: Star Wars Models ...