Next: Re: Campaign settings

Re: Campaign settings

From: a210486@t... (kosta kalogeropoulos 956-6476)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:37:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Campaign settings

Wow, thanks for everyone's response to my last mssg. I apologize for
not putting my name in (this is my first mail-list). My name is
'Kosta' and if anyone would like to reach me, please use the following
address instead of the one listed:

KOSTA@texas.dseg.ti.com

In regards to the Traveller setting, I have initially created starship
designs of my own making using the FT system. In other words a
Battleship or Hvy. Cruiser are given in 'name' only. I think the
next step would be to make designs w/ a better or closer approx. to
'actual' Traveller vessels. For me, the systems used to conduct combat
in Traveller are simply too cumbersome and unnecessary.

I basically want a system that allows for quick and simple combat like
FT. I don't mind creating more detailed designs than what FT gives.
Currently the only book I have is 'Fighting ships' from the MegaTrav.
setting (which includes various ship designs). I know there have been
3 stages in the development of Traveller (w/ a 4th one coming!) so I
don't know what starship compatability problems could arise.

Michael Llaneza:
     If you like, we could start w/ doing a wpn. conversion from FT
to Traveller. We should probably stick w/ the larger wpns. (i.e. Meson
guns, Particle accel.) For the smaller and more numerous wpns. aboard
the larger ships, we could probably group them as (1) FT wpn.
(Abstract example: (30) Laser = (1) 'B' battery)
Also, since certain vessels may be too small to go toe-to-toe w/ the
big boys (SDB vs. Superdreadnought) we could create an abstract
situation where 1 model represents a certain number of smaller vessls
Let me know what you think.

Allan Goodall:
     My initial creations for DS2 are also of a 'generic (what I
think they should be) design'. I'm basically using the assumption
that the Imperium uses mostly grav-tanks, GEV's and other TL-15
vehicles, while the Solomani (Earth forces) use a more traditional
(i.e. tracked and wheeled) army.

Mike Elliot:
     The rules are great. I also like the MORE THRUST supplement
since it gives more ideas for how wpns. and scenarios can be created.
The entire 'open-end' philosophy is what appeals to me the most. As
far as miniatures, I'm not much of a 'purist' or scratchbuilder so I
have decided to use the ones available from CMD. A few of the
Ral Partha 'Battletech' tanks seem ideal for 1/300th scale supertanks
for DS2.

Everyone:
     Sorry if this mssg. is a little long-winded.

Kosta K.

Next: Re: Campaign settings