Prev: Re: World building: implications of counter gravity Next: Re: World building: implications of counter gravity

Re: World building: implications of counter gravity

From: "Hugh Fisher" <laranzu@o...>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:19:32 +1100
Subject: Re: World building: implications of counter gravity

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:17:55 +1100, Jerry Han <ghoti221@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The question that popped into my mind is whether you could use your
drive
> to actually generate thrust, or if it's only good for getting away
from
> the 'strongest' gravitational field.	Otherwise, to actually get
> somewhere
> once you're in space would be a struggle - getting to orbit is easy,
but
> how would you generate the delta-V to end up somewhere else?	(If
memory
> serves, Space 1889 liftwood ships had ether sails to generate this
> propulsive force, and I think there was some handwaving somewhere so
> journeys to Mars et al took weeks and months, not years.)

Definitely only for pushing away from the strongest gravity field. Add
in an inverse square law and yes that's how I want it to work, getting
into orbit is easy but after that it's back to rockets.

--
	 cheers,
	 Hugh Fisher

Prev: Re: World building: implications of counter gravity Next: Re: World building: implications of counter gravity