Prev: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…? Next: Re: FMA Aircraft: Guns

Re: FMA Aircraft: Guns

From: Jon Tuffley <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 00:04:39 +0000
Subject: Re: FMA Aircraft: Guns

On 2 Feb 2016, at 23:37, John Leary via Gzg <gzg@firedrake.org> wrote:

> Problem 1: In air to air combat (guns)  there is not such thing a a
'near miss'.
> It is either hit or miss,  Missiles are almost always a near miss,
think of them as
> smart flak.

Rather than "Near Miss" for a beat-with-one-die result, call it a "minor
hit" - a few rounds chew relatively unimportant holes in the aircraft,
missing anything vital, but the pilot knows damn well that he's been hit
and will react accordingly…… a good solid hit (beats with both dice)
means that you have the chance of doing something serious to the target
aircraft.

Jon (GZG)

<damosan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> So I've written up a set of rules using the FMA mechanics for air
combat and I plan to play test them a bit Friday evening.  I've written
them assuming Mach capable aircraft from the 70s onward though they can
easily be used with prop driven aircraft or early jets.

> I'm looking at two philosophies for determining an aircraft's
firepower and impact for any guns mounted on the platform.

> #1: Throw a quality die and firepower die for each pair of guns.  Take
the highest two results and compare them to the target's die roll (which
is quality & defense die -- high value is used).  Beat 1 is a near miss
while beating 2 is a solid hit.  For example a Korean War Sabre has six
.50 MGs so would throw quality and then 3 FP die.

> #2: Come up with a standard firepower & impact for the the set of guns
and be done with it -- though this approach will have several weird die
combos.  For example a Mig-15 may have an exceptionally large Impact die
at close and medium range to model getting smacked by a 37mm shell but
the long range impact die will be significantly lower because of the
severe drop said 37mm shell experiences.

> Psychologically players will probably enjoy #1 as it's a bucket of
dice and their odds of getting a decent result go up tremendously.  From
a speed-of-play perspective I like #2 and will probably lean that way.