Prev: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…? Next: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

From: Jon Tuffley <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 00:15:27 +0000
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?

The "heavy weapons" guys in the MOONGRUNT figures are going to use
recoilless shoulder-fired tube launchers - a gas charge (vented rearward
to avoid any recoil problem) launches the projectile from the tube at
low velocity, then a rocket sustainer in the round kicks in. Rounds may
be "smart" guided ones with steering jets, or simple dumb rockets for
area fire. Warheads optimised for either armour penetration (if vehicles
or defence works are the target) or maximum fragmentation effect against
suited troops.

I do lean towards lasers for the infantry rifles and SAWs - for one
thing, no weighty ammo supply to worry about shipping up the well, just
easily-generated electrical power…..

Jon (GZG)

On 1 Feb 2016, at 23:14, Matthew Seidl <seidl@wraith.com> wrote:

> Good point. :)  But why rifling without the atmosphere?  Projectiles
might tumble, but without an atmosphere to deflect them I'd think they'd
still fly straight.  Maybe have less penetration power, but without a
lot of armor that won't matter.

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Michael Brown <mwsaber6@msn.com>
wrote:
> Why fins in a vacuum?
>
> Probably better to have a rifled launcher
>

> Michael Brown
> Sheridan, WY
> mwsaber6@msn.com
>

> Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:43:55 -0700
> Subject: Re: OFFICIAL - GZG: Vacuum and zero/low gravity combat…?
> From: seidl@wraith.com
> To: gzg@firedrake.org
>

> I'd expect more rocket rounds instead of bullets.  The gun deploys a
small fin stabilized projectile with its one propellant, which then
rockets down range.  Have to be a bit careful that the propellant
doesn't jet back into the shooter, but thats solvable.

> And, depending on tech level, laser weapons might be very nice.  No
kick back, and you only have to heat up the opponents suit enough that
it punctures.  Of course, the suits will have a fair amount of
thermal/radiation shield themselves, but a directed energy weapon could
overwhelm them.

> Maybe something like the old Rift glitterboy suit where before firing
the suit deploys anchors.  Either spikes drilled into the regolith, or a
brace to divert the force directly into the ground.

> Definitely need rules for jumps a-la battletech jump jets.  :)
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Jason Weiser <jason.weiser@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Blades will also be popular as weapons, as projectiles of any kind in
habitats will be seen skeptically.

> Trained troops for zero g will have a massive advantage over those not
trained for it. Everything is harder in zero g, moving like the Apollo
astronauts did isn't that tactical in many ways, and new troops can
blunder into craters,  stick the landing wrong, of if things go real
bad, they can achieve escape velocity.

> EMP generating weapons will also be popular, take out a suit ' s
electronic capabilities,  and that trooper is out of the fight.

> Nukes in this environment are very deadly..as there won't be an ounce
of protection against hard rads outside of a hab...God help you if there
is a solar flare during a firefight.

> Firing a weapon in zero g is interesting too, as recoil may send you
flying in the other direction. Using objects or center mass to brace as
you shoot is important.

> On Feb 1, 2016 5:04 PM, "Evyn MacDude" <evyn.macdude@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For Zero-G a control save each turn modified by how fast a figure
moved, firing weapons, number free hands Etc. etc...

> In general, low velocity weapons that depend on the payload to do
damage instead of velocity. Manageable with one hand, hooked to a in
helmet HUD...

> Increased ranges for Hand grenades and other low velocity weapons,
with a corresponding increase area of effects for fragmentation effects,
a decrease in chemical weapons area.