Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:26:47 +1100
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

> On 20 Oct 2015, at 21:43, Jon Tuffley <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
>
> Right, so my first question to you all: MOVEMENT SYSTEM(S) IN FT?

I don’t really play FT any more because my young captains have moved
on to other interests. When we were playing most actively, we were using
the FB1-amended-by-FB2 vector system, but normally subject to a house
rule that manoeuvring thrusters could *only* be used to pivot the ship,
not “push” it. Our “fleets” were relatively small, so we
didn’t have problems with managing vector.

The reason for the house rule was that we were mainly playing in a hard
SF “High Frontier” campaign environment, and thrusters capable of
half the thrust of the main engines are ridiculous. Certain optional
weapon-systems and defences were excluded also on “science” grounds,
and newer systems not supported by Roger Burton West’s Shiptool
(grasers, for example), which we were still using to print off our SSD
sheets, were too much trouble to bother with.

RB