Prev: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it. Next: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)?

Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:18:34 -0400
Subject: Re: FT3 DEVELOPMENT QUESTION: Movement system(s)? was: Re: [FT] Quiet in here, isn't it.

I've played FT on an off since 90/91.  I've used both types of movement
-
cinematic and vector as discussed in the FBs.

I tend to prefer vector but that may be because of the size of fleets I
normally play (5-10 ships per side).  If I was routinely putting 40-60
ships on the table I'd probably default to cinematic or use another rule
set that didn't require status sheets.

A topic for another day -- should fighters be treated as "first class
objects" in FT i.e. thrust + move plotting?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Jon Tuffley <jon@gzg.com> wrote:

> Thanks Roger and Indy for your quick responses - everyone else feel
free
> to chip in when you read this - you don't have to be a regular FT
player
> now, if you've EVER played, no matter how long ago, I'd like to hear
any
> relevant comments on this question!  ;-)
>
> Jon (GZG)
>

> On 20 Oct 2015, at 12:08, Roger Bell_West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:43:23AM +0100, Jon Tuffley wrote:
> >> What Movement System do you use, or have you used in the past when
> you've been actively playing FT? Just the basic Cinematic movement?
One of
> the Vector options, and if so which one(s)? Which do you prefer, and
why?
> >> Have you modified any of the published (officially or fan-done)
systems
> to your own tastes, if so how, why and did it work?
> >
> > I like cinematic for big games, vector for small ones. Vector takes
> > longer per ship, both to plan and to execute, but is more satisfying
> > because it gives more real-feeling results. The problem with
cinematic
> > for me is the way fast-moving ships can blip all over the map; once
> > they get up above about speed 15-20, the chevron enclosing the areas
> > they can reach stretches across the whole table. There's no point in
> > trying to engage them with fighters or missiles, and all one can do
is
> > hunker up in a fist of death and hope to avoid defeat in detail.
> >
> > Generally I use vector as amended by FB2, or for really small
battles
> > my custom vector system that's even slower but physically realistic,
> > as noted at

http://blog.firedrake.org/archive/2014/04/Painfully_Realistic_Vector_Mov
ement.html