Prev: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions Next: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:51:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Douglas Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
wrote:

> > Have you ventured into the Lost Fleet series any?
>
> Have to go back and retry; a friend is deep into it, and says my
> recollection of mostly groppo action is wrong.
>
> As for Odyssey One, no fears, I'M no rocket scientist...

His astro/space gaffs were entirely too glaring for me to overlook.  :-(
I really liked the storyline, the plot, the premise, the story arc. But
for
his gaffs, which marred it for me in books 1 and 2 (I wrote up a review
on
amazon for book 1; haven't written up book 2 yet). Book 3, with the
exception of a couple of his gaffs (seriously, you are not in orbit
around
Earth if you're in a Lagrange point!), went much, much better (I'm not
yet
done with it, but getting close; hard to put down). I attribute that to
his
mostly getting away from trying to put universe-specific details in to
anchor the storyline to reality as we know it (where a lot of his gaffs
are).

> > Very "US Navy In Space Saves Humanity", but then that's what a lot
of
> readers want...
>
> I'm sure I've read some Douglas, but not sure about that series;
you've
> actually talked me into looking up the Drake stuff. ;->=

Going to have to put that on my list to check out

> 'Lady Megan' saves the day, but, in both stories, as sole survivor,
knows
> the credit undeserved. Everyone in the navy knows her peerage is a sop
> the 'colonials'. Selfdoubt-R-Us US.
>
> Yesterday's Children, in the original, even more so. Rather The Caine
> Mutiny or The Bedford Incident in space.
>
> Really? No one else thinks Weber's or Bujold's feel a bit like RN in
> 18-19c?
>
> By the way, if anyone feels this has gone on TOO long, please do pop
up
> and say so. If not, I should like nominations for the best FT book not
> called FT...

Dunno offhand. I've wanted to write some fanfic to that effect, but
haven't
gotten a round tuit yet. (working on some other projects right now)

Mk

Prev: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions Next: Re: Tuffleyverse fiction was: RE: Cross Dimensions