Prev: Re: FT: Squadron Question Next: Squadron Question

Re: FT: Squadron Question

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:13:39 +0000
Subject: Re: FT: Squadron Question

>Personally I like the idea of seperate launch/recover system to the
hangar.

>I'd house rule a fighter launch bay to 3 mass with 6 mass per hangar
>myself, however, I'd also require that fighters take a turn of prep to
>move from the hangar to the launch bay or 1 turn from the recovery bay
>to the hangar.
>
>Compare 6 normal fighter bays take 54 mass, 6 hangars plus 2 launch bay
>takes 42 mass.  So for 54 mass you can launch all 6 fighter groups in
>one turn.  For a savings of 12 mass you can carry the same number of
>fighters but can only launch or recover 2 groups every other round.

Hi all, I've been watching this discussion point with interest - and
please don't take this as an "official" pronouncement on the subject,
because everyone if free to use whatever house rules they are most
happy with - BUT this suggestion is definitely the one I like best so
far.
You can have a "ready squadron" in the launch tubes/bays/whatever,
ready to scramble at short notice - but once they have launched, it
takes a full turn to move another squadron into the vacated launch
area, and that squadron can launch the turn after that. Similarly
with recovery, once the launch area is full it takes a complete turn
to clear the landed fighters back to their storage hangar before the
bay can be re-used to recover another group.
Given that many FT games don't actually stretch over a huge number of
turns, I think this may well give sufficient penalty to ships with
fewer launch bays than hangars to balance out any "cheese factor" -
though of course this will only be proved or disproved by playing, so
if anyone tries it out please let us all know the results here!

Jon (GZG)