Prev: Re: FT: Squadron Question Next: Re: FT: Squadron Question

Re: FT: Squadron Question

From: Patrick Connaughton <ptconn@e...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:38:47 -0600
Subject: Re: FT: Squadron Question

How would one estimate costing out the external rack?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2013, at 7:13 PM, John Tailby <john_tailby@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> It seems quite reasonable to design carriers with a larger hanger
capacity than the launch capability.

> most modern aircraft carriers have the ability to store ~50 planes but
the ability to launch only 2-4 at a time.

> in FT terms thats 8 squadrons and one launch bay.
>
> So maybe the launch bay is 6 mass and the squadron takes up 3 mass.
>
> Even BSG seemed to have the large flight bays and the capacity to only
launch some squadrons at once. The Cylons didn't seem to have hangers
for the raiders they were attached externally to the hull.

> most of the babylon 5 ships seemed to launch squadrons some at a time.
Only the raider ship seemed to be able to launch all fighters at once
from external racks.

> ________________________________

something like a CAM ship (cf. _Empire Darwin_ and later examples).
Recovering the pilot of a "ditched" fighter in space might be more of a
sporting challenge.

> Best,
> Ken
>

> ________________________________

stations might make for interesting scenarios.

> Adding functionality to allow multiple fighter launches and retreuvals
from the same bay would requires retooling the base rules or a "house"
rule.

> Any thoughts?
>
> Patrick from St Louis, MO
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 16, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Not possible under the standard rules.. A fighter squadron needs a
>>> fighter bay in order to be deployed in combat.
>>
>> I agree with the 'deployed in combat' part. I don't see a problem
with
>> it for just storing fighters, but they won't be in a launchable
state.

>> If he instead wanted to be able to keep spares to replace losses
between
>> battles (useful in a campaign game) then the 6 mass/squadron seems
reasonable.

>> --
>> Be seeing you,	 Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
>> Sam. 		 Posts:
http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn

Prev: Re: FT: Squadron Question Next: Re: FT: Squadron Question