Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: Core systems and other stuff

Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 10:55:31 +1100
Subject: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items

Tom B wrote in reply to Hugh Fisher:

>I'm assuming as 3 seperate systems (3 system kills, 3 system repairs,
>3 rolls to hit for 1D6 each) and 1 class 3 system (1 system kill, 1
>system repair, 1 roll to hit for 3D6 damage) are costed identically,
>the mid-way hybrid (1 system kill, 1 system repair, 3 rolls to hit for
>1D6 each) should be costed the same. Unless someone can spot a flaw in
>this thinking?

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't try to do probability
calcs late at night.

Re-thinking about it...generalize this into "turrets." Any
weapons of the same kind, class, and arc can be grouped
together as a turret / cluster / module, to be indicated
by drawing a box around them on the SSD. The turret counts
as one system for thresholds, repairs, needle beams. All
the weapons must be fired at the same target requiring just
one FC, but roll for hit and damage individually.

Gets around the FT problem that increasing weapon class
increases both range and damage.

(Now I'm thinking about "multi-barrelled" symbols which
would look nicer on the SSD...hmmm...)

>Hugh, did I miss something on core systems?

As others have pointed out, yes. Core systems only start
failing when you've already lost half your hull boxes
and, on average, half your weapons, screens, and drive
capability.

This is why I wrote that I don't consider core system
hits or absence of that important: by the time they start
failing, the ship is already in serious trouble. IMO the
extra cost of advanced hulls accurately represents their
value whether playing with or without core system hits.

>Unrelated Bonus Topic: Per Ship-Class Threshold Charts

[ munch ]

>Has anyone else tried something like this? I thought it worked well.

Sounds like a great idea, but I'm too lazy!

	cheers,
	Hugh Fisher

Prev: Re: Alternate Pulsers and Classed Pulse Torps and other items Next: Core systems and other stuff