Prev: Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms Next: PDS and fighters

Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms

From: Randy Wolfmeyer <rwwolfme@g...>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:51:48 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms

The house rules I've written are for vector - although I was thinking
about
it and you could probably port it over to cinematic by having fighters
follow the same movement system as ships there too.  Just give them lots
of
thrust so that they are significantly more agile than ships, but still
following the same basic rules.  One of the advantages is that it makes
it
more difficult to organize massive fighter swarms on a single target -
not
impossible, you just have to know what you're doing and have the skill
pull it off - which is what we should be rewarding in game play.
Bringing
lots of fighters won't make an automatic win against a non-fighter fleet
if
you can't coordinate your attacks.  And that coordination is going to
depend on how your enemy lays out his fleet, which makes more tactical
decisions - i.e. a better game.

Another advantage is that if the fighters have velocity carry through
from
turn to turn - they can't just hop from one target to another or stick
one target as easily.  If they make a fast burn to get a target fast,
they'll get a flyby attack, and probably take a turn or two to line up
another attack, either on the same target or another.

The evasion rules could probably work in both cinematic and vector
without
any changes.

Randy Wolfmeyer
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> Randy Wolfmeyer wrote on 02/07/2012 09:11:21 PM:
> > 1) Fighters use vector movement, but with a lot of thrust.
>
> Sorry, are these meant to play with the vector rules, or add into
cinematic
> as well?
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Allan Goodall wrote:
> > I will probably use a set of fleets we used one year for the FT
> tournament
> > at GenCon. I intend to start Mark off with the vector rules.
> >
> > I don't see us having a problem, as we both managed to lean how to
play
> > "Grant Takes Command" (part of Avalon Hill/Multi-Man Publishing's
Great