Prev: Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms Next: Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms

Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms

From: Randy Wolfmeyer <rwwolfme@g...>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:11:21 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Reopening the fighter balance can of worms

Hi everyone,

I meant to post this ages ago, but I've been wanting to finish it up and
playtest it more before throwing it out to the list.  With my current
schedule, I don't think I'm going to get free time to develop it more
anytime soon.

http://db.tt/0cW5L7ba (link to the pdf file in my dropbox account)

Anyways, this is just a list of house rules I've been dabbling with.
It's
got elements of the beta fighter rules, with a couple of other changes
I've
dabbled with over the years, a lot of them things I've seen on the list.
 Some of its just clarifications on some points for my players.  The two
big changes are:

1) Fighters use vector movement, but with a lot of thrust.
2) Evasion - both fighters and smaller ships can divert their thrust
into
dodging incoming fire - basically acts like a level of shields

I haven't played them enough to see how they might affect the points
balance - but the few times I've played with them the points seem to
balance pretty well using CPV.	Making the fighter use vector movement
seems to make them a bit more manageable - it takes a lot more
coordination
to put a big multi-fighter assault together from multiple carriers.  If
remember though, fighter vs. fighter was kind of tricky - I hadn't
worked
out all of the kinks there.  There are a couple of other questions in
there
that I'm trying to work out.

Just thought I should post it since the topic has come up.  I would
appreciate comments or critiques.

Randy Wolfmeyer

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Allan Goodall <awgoodall@gmail.com>
wrote:

> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Allan - good to hear you have someone near you who wants to get
> > into FT - now of course you may be planning to do this already, but
> > my suggestion would be that you start him off with a couple of games
> > of FT LIGHT before getting into the complexities of
> > FT2/2.5/2-point-whatever-draft-you-choose....
> >

> I will probably use a set of fleets we used one year for the FT
tournament
> at GenCon. I intend to start Mark off with the vector rules.
>
> I don't see us having a problem, as we both managed to lean how to
play
> "Grant Takes Command" (part of Avalon Hill/Multi-Man Publishing's
Great
> Campaigns of the American Civil War series) without too much trouble.
:-)