Prev: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games Next: Don Maddox

Re: Our choice of factions and models for games

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:11:35 +0000
Subject: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games

On 01/02/2012 19:12, Sean Schoonmaker wrote:
> While I recognize that in real life, there is an increasing tendency
for nations
> to use a combination of equipment and to use homogenized designs that
look much
> like everyone else, that is not what I like seeing on my tabletop.
>
> I enjoy the visible cues that one force is Faction A, and the other
Faction B,
> and I enjoy the way they look while stored together in addition to
when playing
> a game.
>
> So, while it might not be realism, it's certainly the way I like it.

I agree. Not only that, but I know of at least one starship game that
went the homogenization route, and pretty much ruined itself as a game.
IMO, of course; it's still going and presumably has a load of devoted
fans, but I gave it up when all the ships began to be almost identical
except for their shape. I much prefer it when Race/Faction A has put
their efforts into developing certain weapons and defences while R/F B
has gone another way, and half the fun of the game is dealing with the
interaction between the different technologies. Of course, the various
designs for each race do have to be more or less equivalent; one problem

I've had with FT is that the alien ships seem to be too powerful for the

humans -- but let's not start that discussion again <g>

Phil

Prev: Re: Our choice of factions and models for games Next: Don Maddox