Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions. Next: Re: [GZG] test

Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:48:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions.

generally:
- Spend an action to gain N EW chits (N is 3 typically on vehicles,
maybe 4
on a purpose built EW vehicle, typically 2 on a backpack unit).
- That's really the only mod I apply, though I'm of the opinion jamming
shoulder fired or vehicle missile systems is maybe questionable.

RFACs and even HMGs are problematic.

For an HMG (12.7 mm for instance or 14.5 mm), I use a D16* for impact (I
have them just for this purpose) and a D10 for FP. They tend to fire a
little slower than the weapons with smaller cartridges but do way more
damage when they hit. If loaded with AP ammo, I treat them as a class 1
weapon vs. vehicles (for penetration effects). But any of these weapons,
fired over open or basic optical sights, I resolve with an FP die and a
Quality die rather than a fire control die, or they are absolutely
useless.

And then we get to RFAC.

If we're talking about a 30-40mm chaingun like a big brother of a
Bushmaster, they aren't super fast firing. They might justify the
existing
rules (although D10 damage is too light, I'd shift to D12 at least for
class
1, and D12 x 2 for class 2. It's not perfect, but it more or less works.

But something like a fast-firing multi-barrelled Gatling (20mm PIVAD or
the
like or 23mm ZSU) is going to be several kinds of horror. Infantry fear
attacking ADA with good justification (the Afghans in 2000 or 2001 who
road
at Taliban positions containing multiple ZSU 23-4s are a special brand
of
crazy).

I might tree a Gatling as a multi-mount and give it multiple FP dice.
And a
minimum of D10 or D12 FP. Impact won't be all that high (D12 would be
fine)
but FP should be horredous. OTOH, you run through ammo ridiculously
fast, so
maybe any some number of ones rolled on the dice should eventually
aggregate
to 'out of ammo'.

25mm Bushmaster: Fire Control (based on electronic quality, D8 or D10),
Impact D12, class 1 weapon.
20mm PIVAD: Firepower Die maybe 2 or 3 D12 or D16 if you have them,
Impact
D10 or D12, class 1 weapon.
13mm HMG: Firepower Die D10 Impact Die D16 (or D12 if you only have
that)
30mm GAU-8: Firepower Die maybe 3 D12, Impact 2d12.

The PIVAD and GAU-8 I might make run out of ammo after 6 rolls of 1 on a
die. They eat it far faster than any other similar weapon.

Of course, it is also possible to imagine small class MDCs that should
have
similar (but better) stats (small, high rate of fire railguns) as well
as
laser gatlings (ouch).

As to the Morale effects... I don't think so. You can't be that
selective.
Getting shot at by a HAMR doesn't cause that. Getting attacked with an
MDC
or HEL is probably terrifying (the HEL especially should easily hit) and
getting attacked with a small rapid firing DFFG does not bear
consideration,
nor getting SLAMed. Why is the autocannon or HMG so scary? is it that
much
more scary than AGLs or RRs or GMS/P or IAVRs? I don't think so. They
should
all scare the crap out of any poor quality infantry, but that's already
built into the game. Weapon size is not generally factored into any
morale
check (maybe there should be a modifier based on class of attacking
weapon,
but then it would treat all systems equally).

So I'll say no to morale effects unless you are going to more generally
overhaul the system. HMGs and RFACs are scary, but so are most of the
other
weapons of the near-ish future.

Tom B
--
The price of a fine dog is a broken heart at the end.
-- Rudyard Kipling

Solitudinem fecerunt, pacem appelunt
-- Publius Cornelius Tacitus (from the book Agricola, attributed to a
speech
from Calgacus)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG2] A few house rule questions. Next: Re: [GZG] test