Prev: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust (John Lerchey) Next: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust (John Lerchey)

Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust (John Lerchey)

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:01:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust (John Lerchey)

<agoodall@hyperbear.com>wrote:

> > > I have to ask, where does this salvo missiles hitting friendlies
come
> from?
>
> > It's not from the rules as written.
>
> > It's from John's proposal for changing the missile rules, which he
> > mentioned in his December 15 e-mail.
>
> > >From John:
>
> > "There is a factor of entertainment loss in that you can't fly into
> > your own salvo, but really, space ships running into their own fired
> > missiles targeting envelope and the missiles are too stupid to NOT
> > attack the friendly ship??	That's always stretched it a good ways
for
> > me anyway."
>
> See, the problem with 'hitting your own ships' is that it doesn't make
> sense in space.
>
> Space is big. Really big. You may think it's a long way down the lane
> the chemist, but that's just PEANUTS compared to space....
>
> I digress.
>
> Even if fleets are traveling in a wedge or cluster, they aren't all on
the
> same horizontal plane in space. Because of this, having the risk of
missiles
> hit your own fellows makes about as much sense as using direct-fire
rockets
> in space.
>
> No sense of scale.

I completely agree with you. I never subscribed to the SMs targeting
one's
own fleet for a number of reasons (one of which was the dumb missile
argument). However, I think Jon was going for a cinematic feel to the
salvo
missile optional suggestion (ala Starblazers or whatever other anime
style
series used clouds of 'dumb' missiles). And though it was a suggestion,
number of groups adopted it as rule.

That all said, and in light of some of the other optional solutions to
'fix'
the SM problem (esp at Oerjan speeds) noted earlier in the parallel main
thread, the FT3 playtest team has been working with a restructured turn
order, which would put SM fire after movement. Not everyone would like
it,
but then whenever anything is changed in something that is already
fundamentally in use, not everyone likes the change (some people *like*
the
SM guessing game, even if it is a broken concept).

In any event, the above is not written in stone. Just something the
playtest
team has been working with.

Mk