Prev: Re: [GZG] Railguns Next: Re: [GZG] How to join the mailing list?

Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

From: John Lerchey <lerchey@g...>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:31:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

This is actually a valid consideration.  Missiles as they stand, are
VERY slow compared to what a ship can do if it's got a good start
speed.	Most sci-fi genres don't have ships out running missiles
unless they're fired from REALLY far away and chasing.

In FT, since the missiles have a relatively short launch range and a
very short closing range, if you're playing at high speeds, Eric is
right - it becomes a huge game of guesswork to place them.  Of course,
that's said with the understanding that a big part of the game is
about guessing where the opposing ships (and sometimes your own!) will
end up.  I've certainly benefited and suffered from guessing badly,
and ending up ass-end to my opponent within 3mu, or visa versa.

But since FT3 is being worked on, maybe put a note on the chalk board
to consider alternate missile rules.

Of the top of my head something like this could work (maybe, really,
I've given this about 2 seconds of random thinking)

Missiles - range bands of 24 mu (double that of beams).
Hit numbers like p-torps.
Prior to resolving hits, apply PDS/ADS/etc. against the incoming
salvoes (on a per firing ship basis).  If Heavy Missiles are still
single objects that are harder to kill, that's what's used.  If Salvo
Missiles are in clusters of 6, and you need to whittle them away,
fine.  After PDS (and such) reduce the missiles, any remaining roll to
hit.  Apply damage as appropriate.

This makes them remain different from beams and p-torps in that a)
ranges are much longer and b) defense systems can counter them.  But
it then uses an already existing mechanic for resolution - roll to
hit, do damage.

There is a factor of entertainment loss in that you can't fly into
your own salvo, but really, space ships running into their own fired
missiles targeting envelope and the missiles are too stupid to NOT
attack the friendly ship??  That's always stretched it a good ways for
me anyway.

Just a thought.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Eric Foley <stiltman@teleport.com>
wrote:
> [...]
fine with this.  The main reason it's a problem is because of the
indirect fire rules.  If missiles and plasma were on a to-hit roll or
some other kind of fixed opposed roll (i.e. you roll to hit and then the
other guy still gets to roll point defense anyway) and there were no
guesswork involved in hitting a ship at this speed I'd have no problem
with it.  If getting to pick the firing range was the _only_ advantage
you got from going at such speeds, it'd still be a little bit weird but
it'd be easier to swallow.