Prev: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust Next: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

From: John Lerchey <lerchey@g...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:02:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] what's the latest news on Full Thrust

E,

Thanks. Now it makes sense to me. :)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Eric Foley <stiltman@teleport.com>
wrote:
> What I mean is, if you're going at 4 MU, and you have the ability to
make 2 point turns in cinematic, the area in which you may be expected
to end up is around 7-8 MU in diameter.  At this speed, the ability to
make this turn does not fundamentally affect any mechanics of the game.

> However, if you're going at 40 MU, and you retain the ability to make
that same 2 point turn in cinematic, the area in which you may be
expected to end up is around 7-80 MU in diameter.  At _this_ speed, the
continued ability to make this turn radically changes the game.  Trying
to target that ship with any sort of indirect fire is largely pointless.
 Even direct fire weapons are only possible to use on the speeder's own
terms.  It's the main tactical reason to use such speeds, because
people flying significantly slower ones are basically forced to operate
the entire game on your terms when you do.

> In vector, this is not a significant issue.  Whether the ship is
going 4 MU or 40 MU, if you know he's got 2 points of maneuvering thrust
you can Mark I Eyeball a circle 4 MU in diameter where he'll turn up, or
perhaps an ellipse if you consider speeding up and slowing down at the
same time.  It's a vastly different situation, and Oerjan speeds are
not nearly as effective in as many ways as a result.

have a problem with unlimited speed while you're still able to turn the
same way at 36 MU per turn as you can when you're only going 4 MU per
turn.  How fast you want to go in a straight line, I don't care, I just
don't like the turning on a dime at any speed so that you could be
anywhere in a 50 MU radius on a given turn, and trying to put any kind
of missile or plasma targeting on you is effectively impossible and
fighters can't catch you even with secondary moves.  At more reasonable
speeds, Full Thrust is great; at Oerjan speeds a lot of the mechanics
break down.