Prev: [GZG] From GZG - Quick update - first few days of Xmas offer... Next: Re: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules

Re: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules

From: Noam Izenberg <noam.izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:08:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Hugh's New Fighter/Point Defence rules

I've begun looking into Hugh's new fighter/antifighter rules.

A couple quick thoughts, because I've still missed most of the
conversation.
My first reaction is I think they (the new roles) weaken Heavy
missiles and fighters significantly (It doesn't take a great deal of
fleet modification/sacrifice to make a task force effectively HM and
fighter proof.) and leave salvo missiles almost intact, unless you're
going to convert PDS systems in to %ship mass systems. I think any
system that grants virtual invulnerability after a certain, relatively
low threshold is too flawed. An average PD of 11 is granted with an
array of 14 PDS - not too much to ask from a DN, or even a BC going up
against a known Fighter heavy fleet.

I was very interested in Eric's playtest, but unless he's made a
compensatory (and significant) recalculation of cost, he's misplayed
torp fighters. FT 2.5 Torp fighters are one shot. They can't make two
attacks, much less three, so the Phalons in the playtest should have
clashed nearly full strength with the Kasparovs. The outcome would
have been quite different.

Also I'm unclear why the phalons didn't drop a couple plasma 1's on
top of themselves when the fighters attacked. They could take the
paint scratching easily to completely wipe out every fighter group in
the bolt range.

---

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Of course, so
does falling down a flight of stairs.	  -	 Richard Doty