Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG2] Sights and FCS for infantry Next: [GZG] More re: GZG - situation update on WARFARE and mailorders.....

Re: [GZG] [SG2] Sights and FCS for infantry

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:06:18 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG2] Sights and FCS for infantry

I think this is getting way too fiddly. SG2 is a game where the infantry
squad is the basic unit, so I don't think SG2 needs to get down to the
level of what sort of sight is mounted. At the level of squad shooting,
in the field rather than on the range, I think the troop-quality factor
is plenty. A key part of the SG2 philosophy is, after all, that a lot of
shooting isn't really aimed at individual targets anyway, but employed
to suppress the opposing force.

The rules don't say anything about assuming iron sights, or any other
specifics of infantry weapons, and looking at the wide adoption of
optical sights today, I doubt if iron sights would be the standard in
two hundred years (though a prudent military might well continue to have
them on the rifle just in case). Presumably the rules simply assume the
"standard kit" with which a soldier of the period is likely to be
equipped, and reduced effectiveness for improvised or obsolete
lower-level firearms is already included.

Finally, when it comes to weapon/sight/shooter combinations that really
are a "step up" from the standard infantry, there are already the sniper
rules.

On 17/11/2010, at 10:56 , J L Hilal wrote:

> The SG2 system works well for small arms infantry combat with iron
sights, but has nothing that addresses any enhancement devices that
various forces might have.