Prev: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: FT:XD changes, part 1) Next: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: FT:XD changes, part 1)

Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: FT:XD changes, part 1)

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:19:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] a peek from FT3 on fighters/ordnance (was: Re: FT:XD changes, part 1)

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ST Die Sources:
> > PDS: 3xST Dice vs Any small target *group* within 6 MU. PDS may fire
> against
> > ships as per FT, doing 1 pt damage on a roll of 6.
> >

> So this will require, with my die rolling, 18 PDS to take out a flight
> of fighters.	With Indy's die rolling he'd need an infinite number...

You do not have to announce it so loudly.  :-P

> > ADS (ex-ADFC) : 3xST Dice vs Any small target *group* within 12 MU.
> may
> > fire against ships as per PDS.
>
> So you have PDS and Advanced PDS now?

Area PDS is how we've been calling it. But Advanced will work.

> > Ship Main Weapons: require a dedicated firecon. 1x ST Die vs Any
small
> > target *group* at 1/2 the range of the weapon (e.g, C1 beams have
the
> same
> > range as PDS, C2s have the same range as ADS, pulse torps can reach
out
> > 15 MU, etc)
> >

> Not letting larger batteries fire at fighters is a hold over from
> WW1/2 naval games and I'd be GLAD to see it go.

Yes, my argument was that in WW2 naval guns were used in anti-air mode.
Not
as effective as dedicated anti-air weaponry, maybe, but nevertheless...

>  I don't agree with
> the limiting of range though -- a beam can hit a massive thrust-2
> dreadnought just as easily as it can hit a tiny thrust-8 scout.
>

> > CIDS (Close-In Defense System)
> >

> And I *really* like the idea of a CID system.
>
> Are you doing anything to limit the strength of fighter attacks?

Not at this time.

Yes, this means fighter squadrons can pile onto one ship, but recall the
turn order, every ship within range can lend a helping
pre-fighter-pile-on
hand in reducing the pile. This gives justification to those DDE and
related
ships (sure, the fighters can pile on the DDEs, but then the
accompanying
cap ships can lend *their* fire to the DDE's defense - and DDEs had
better
have CIDS-2 or CIDS-3).

Mk