Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 00:45:24 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1

Eric Foley wrote:

> >5. Fighter/PDS/Ship fire model
> >
> >The only model I've seen that seems to not encourage soapies, that
> >seems to make fighter endurance matter, and that seems to make FT
ship
> >designs (with small to moderate sized fighter compliments by mass,
> >with 2-4 PDS) make ANY viable sense is the playtest rules that were
> >bandied about with fighters burning endurance to avoid PDS fire and
> >attack and where PDSes and ship batteries could engage fighters, the
> >PDS any within range and all PDS groups on a sihp attacked *each*
> >incoming fighter group. It was more book-keeping intensive, but it
> >made the existing SSDs make sense.
>
>Well, this last sentence basically is where we're simply riding on
>different rails.  I do not care even a little bit if the existing
>SSDs are able to fight soapie basestars. [...] I'd rather keep the
>GZGverse ships in their own world where players can continue to have
>fun fighting them against each other, and keep it understood that if
>you really want to let the soapie genie out of the bottle, it's
>simply going to be a different game and should be set in a different
campaign.

Unfortunately you don't need basestar-like fighter numbers to rip
through a Fleet Book fleet. It is quite sufficient to bring a couple
of Fleet Book fleet carriers (except the NSL ones), unless the
opposing fleet brings a similar number of fighters of their own or
consists mostly of escort cruisers (since most of the ADFC-equipped
ships in the Fleet Books only carry 3 PDSs each). IOW, under the
Fleet Book rules the PDS levels featured on the Fleet Book ships
don't make sense *even in the GZGverse* - and I know several
"official designs only" gaming groups that have implemented rather
strict rules on permissible fleet structures to ensure that no-one
can bring too many fighters to the fight. (Or too many
superdreadnoughts, for that matter - though the CPV rules seem to
have reduced that problem, at least.)

(FWIW I'm not sure which version of the beta-test fighter rules TomB
is talking about - the ones I've seen /either/ allow all PDSs on a
ship to engage all incoming fighter groups /or/ allow anti-ship
weapons to engage fighters effectively, but not both at once.)

Regards,

Oerjan

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1 Next: Re: [GZG] FT:XD changes, part 1