Prev: [GZG] 15mm DLD stuff Next: [GZG] From GZG, a quick update: UNSC FT Fleet......

Re: [GZG] Single weapon patrol boats...

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@s...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:36:04 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Single weapon patrol boats...

On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Ryan Gill wrote:

> Here's a Greek navy patrol boat with two sets of 6 tube 106mm
Recoilless rifles.
> http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2409/73112162.jpg

Nice alpha strike !

There were destroyers that fought in WW2 with 4 x 4". I'd find the range
with single shots and then ripple fire the remaining rounds. You could
hurt something much bigger than that boat with a good salvo. Wiki has a
photo of a smaller boat  (about 20 feet) with a single rifle (and 2 LMG)
in Greek service back around 1982. Wiki rates the M40's common
projectiles as having 3.5 kg of explosive, 5 kilos of flechettes or 40cm
armor penetration. It has an effective range of 1350m and a max listed
as 6870m, and a ship is a pretty big target so it'd be useful at a good
range - assuming the crew is any good at coordinating firing with the
motion of the boat.

I like how there's absolutely nothing on deck forward. That shows
excellent forethought. Reloading under fire would be hazardous, but
somewhat sheltered by the (hopefully armored) bridge.

I think the Greeks are on to something with this.

Prev: [GZG] 15mm DLD stuff Next: [GZG] From GZG, a quick update: UNSC FT Fleet......