Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance

Re: [GZG] How to do Stargate style shields as an FT FB system

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:23:20 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] How to do Stargate style shields as an FT FB system

At 3:46 AM -0500 14/1/10, Tom B wrote:
>So, different aspects to capture:
>
>1) Stop all weapon types (as far as I can think of)
>2) Have an amount of damage they would remove from a weapon attack
>that is related to 'shield strength'
>3) Repetitive attack and penetrating damage may both impact shield
>strength (penetrating damage could actually cause shield failure as
>could enough repetitive attacks)

Obligatory plug for Full Thrust: Cross Dimensions which
has advanced screens that affect all weapon types, not
just beams. K-guns aren't in the book, but Eric Foley
worked out how they should be affected and if you were
interested I'm sure he'd pass it on.

Assuming that your turn length runs to minutes rather
than seconds, I believe that FT style screens actually
work fairly well. A shield that's either completely
blocking weapons or completely down, over a ten minute
period, is going to on average block a percentage of
incoming weapons fire as it cycles through being
overloaded, the crew diverting energy or reversing the
polarity on something, shields back up.

On point 2, the three (counting zero as a strength)
shield levels aren't very much, but with D6 it's hard
to see how to fit any more in. I guess you could allow
level-3 screens for the really hard nuts.

Repetitive attacks and penetrating damage will impact
shield strength automatically as ships reach threshold
points. I'd be inclined to say "good enough" for
matching the behaviour you want.

	cheers,
	Hugh