Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:19:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

Zoe Brain wrote:

>In a naval context... Sunburns still give me the willies.
>
>They come in so quickly, you can usually distract/seduce them, they
>just don't have time to sort out the wheat from the chaff (so to
>speak). But shooting them down is tricky. Too many chances to get it
>wrong, too many chances for a bad sea state, or someone being 3
>seconds slow on the uptake, or..
>
>Hypervelocity kinetic missiles ditto. No point in filling the air
>full of shrapnel in front of them if you do so at a range of 3cm,
>because it takes you 0.5secs to slew and fire.

In a land-vehicle context, if it takes you 0.5s to slew and fire
you'll rarely be able to stop even an average LAW/RPG/CG round, and
they're strictly subsonic! <g> The latest tank-mounted PD systems are
able to intercept APFSDS darts coming in at 1500+ m/s (ie., even
faster than a Moskit) - though whether or not they can also disrupt
the darts enough to save the target vehicle is another question
entirely, of course ;-)

Later,

Oerjan

Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] FT Vector: Alternative Fire Resolution Distance