Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] why I began playing full thrust

Re: [GZG] Monster ships

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 23:46:09 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Monster ships

When I had suggested longer ranged weapons, I wasn't thinking of the
ISD (by the way, love the SSD, got a mass and NPV/CPV to go with it?
And are there any rules for special damage as I see you appear to have
sectioned up the SSD..?), more the 'dreadplanet' (read: arbitrarily
large ship).

It seems to me if you are building the 'death orb', big beams are your
thing. If you are in vector with fast rotation, you can probably get
away with narrow arc. Get a bunch of beams with range 60"+. Get enough
thrust to maintain distance with standard enemy units or to at least
make their closure rate slow. Be prepared to use jump to evade if they
close with you. If you can limit closure rates and/or use jump
evasion, then you can pretty much pound the daylights out of the enemy
before they get to you.

Of course, that ignores a number of factors which can shoot down such
a design. One is superfast enemy locust swarms with short range beams.
Another is a non-compliant enemy, who, recognizing you are holding
open range to pound him, adjusts vector away.... he can 'refuse to
play' your game and force at least a stalemate. And of course, some
battles will be over geography, so simply jumping out when the enemy
closes may not be workable.

However, if your enemy is foolish enough to chase, and if you can
thrust-rotate-shoot-rotate-thrust in fairly quick order to limit
closure, then you will pulverize the foe. It's like a poor man's
Kaufman Retrograde (without any actual retrograde thrust).

The thing about FT is you can almost always envision situations where
a given design is optimal or useful and scenarios where it gets owned
by other types of design. And, with certain assumptions, you can make
a campaign work one way or another - fighters dominant/useless, big
ships only/small ships required, etc. You can justify most flavours
with a little thought.

Me, I still miss old Kra'vak armour. :)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Monster ships Next: Re: [GZG] why I began playing full thrust